Children in Dundee have been rewarded for joking around at school after winning a nationwide contest to find Britain’s funniest class.
Iconic comic the Beano challenged schools to come up with a winning one-liner and kids from Forthill Primary were crowned champions with the gag: “What did the facemask say to the mouth? Let me cover for you!”
The joke from Class 5B pupils, including Vuya Mdlalose and Jay Stevens, saw off thousands of entries to win a public vote with over 100,000 taking part in the poll.
Kids from Class Y5R at Greystones Primary School, Sheffield were worthy runners up with: “What did the teacher say to the comic lover as a punishment? There will Beano comics for you.”
And Class 4S from St John the Baptist Primary School, Leicester came third with “Where’s the best place to take a dog for a walk? Leeds”.
A panel of experts shortlisted wisecracks from a new generation of young comedians which included sixth placed “Why did the mobile phone go for an eye test? Because it lost its contacts! “ from Class 5R of Hampton Hill Junior School, Richmond, West London.
And no joke top 10 would be complete without a knock knock which came fourth courtesy of Upton Meadow Primary, Northampton who sent in “Knock knock. Who’s there? Justin. Justin who? Justin time to read Beano.”
The children from Forthill Primary School’s Class 5B – officially Britain’s Funniest Class 2021 – have been immortalised as cartoon characters for the new Beano comic out now.
Mike Stirling, editorial director at Beano Studios said: “Beano is always there for kids seeking a joke to share with their friends and these new gags will continue to bring laughs to friends and families this summer.
“We’ve learned our greatest gags have always come from kids themselves and Britain’s Funniest Class has schooled us yet again, raising some much-needed chuckles in classrooms.”
Top 10 jokes from funniest classes in UK
- What did the facemask say to the mouth? Let me cover for you!
Class 5B, Forthill Primary School, Dundee
- What did the teacher say to the comic lover as a punishment? There will Beano comics for you.
Class Y5R, Greystones Primary School, Sheffield
- Where’s the best place to take a dog for a walk? Leeds.
Class 4S, St John the Baptist Primary School, Leicester
- What did Minnie change her name to when Rubi’s “Growth Ray” experiment went wrong? Minnie the Shrinks!
Year 5 and 6, Bradford Christian School, Bradford
- Knock knock. Who’s there? Justin. Justin who? Justin time to read Beano.
Class 6YG, Upton Meadows Primary, Northampton
- Why did the mobile phone go for an eye test? Because it lost its contacts!
Class 5R, Hampton Hill Jr School, Richmond, W. London
- What is the coldest Christmas food? Pigs in blankets.
Class 3N, Finton House School, Wandsworth, S. London
- What does a scary panda say? Bam boooooooo!
Year 4, Uffculme Primary School, Cullompton, Devon
- What did the pen say to the rock? Nothing, because pens can’t talk.
Class 5HB, Howardian Primary School, Cardiff
- Why didn’t the robber steal Bea’s sweets? Because no-one would stoop that low!
Llynfi, Porthcawl Primary School, Porthcawl, Wales